DRIVER CPC TRAINING
All drivers who are driving vehicles over 3.5 tonnes, or with 9 Passenger seats or more; require to do the Periodic / Drivers CPC (as well as the initial where applicable) – 35 Hours of CPC training every five years.
• Certain drivers do not require to have the drivers Certificate of Professional Competence – These are either based on what the vehicle is transporting, or what the vehicle is used for. Drivers are exempt if the vehicle is:
• Used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods, for personal use;
• Undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or of new or rebuilt vehicles which have not yet been put into service; (must be driven by a qualified motor mechanic)
• Used in the course of driving lessons for the purpose of enabling that person to obtain a driving licence or a Drivers CPC; (must be driven by driving instructors)
• Carrying material or equipment to be used by that person in the course of his or her work, provided that driving that vehicle does not constitute the driver’s principal activity**
• With a maximum authorised speed not exceeding 45 km/h; (such as agricultural tractors)
• Used by, or under the control of, the armed forces, civil defence, the fire service and forces responsible for maintaining public order;
• Used in states of emergency or assigned to rescue missions.
** For example, transporting scaffolding to the drivers place of work. Driving must not become the major part of the work. IE – The work being carried out at the site of work, must be a significantly greater use of time than driving itself.